Wednesday 15 September 2010

Inception



Wow! ...

I was just rewatching the trailer, and I am just as impressed with that as I am the real thing!

This film was brilliant. Not for a new breakthrough piece of technology, it is nice not to have to watch a film in 3D at the moment, and not because of such unique and indidividual camera angles or technique, even though Nolan's technique is brilliant, and not because of a big hollywood a-list celeb. crammed pack film... No it is because it makes you think. About the ability to be able to jump into a dream, to be able to steal a dream. The ability to manipulate the world around you through thought, that is what I love about this film.

Nolan had already captivated me with his reincarnation of Batman, Batman Begins & The Dark Knight , a new fresh and cleverly skilled director/writer who could bring new life in to Burton's slight cock-up of the classic DC legend. The Prestige blew me away with the complex, up and down 'twisty turny' plot that captivated me from start to finish and which left me wondering what had just happened, not in the sense that I did not understand it but there were so many little clips of the film that needed to be rewatched to see the obvious (and unobvious) clues to the final twist.

Inception beats them both. The visual elements of The Dark Knight, the dark and creepy city with its darkly emotional characters and brilliant street scenes of train and car chase wreckages, with the brilliant and deep plot of The Prestige.

I won't say to much in the way of plot, except for the brillaint layer after layer formula that is applied to each see. Meaning that each scene has so many meanings and metaphors in them that they relate to an almost scientific or mythological book. It is such a deep plot and such a successfully sculptured one that the complexity of it just amazes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment